Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Teaching degree courses

teaching degreeStudying an undergraduate teaching degree is often the most direct route into teaching. Read on to find out what qualifications you need and how to apply.

If you want to go straight into teaching, you can choose from a Bachelor of Education (BEd) and a Bachelor of Arts of Science with QTS.

The BEd course enables students to study for an honours degree in education and gain qualified teacher status (QTS) for any primary or secondary school in the UK. The course varies depending on the university.

The BA/BSc with QTS allows students to study for a degree and do their initial teacher training at the same time.


The BEd course generally takes three or four years full-time or six years part-time. If you have undergraduate credits from previous study you may be allowed to complete the course in two years.

The BA/BSc and QTS takes three or four years full-time or four to six years part-time.

Where can you study a teaching degree?

BEd degree courses and BA/BSc with QTS courses are offered at a number of universities and colleges throughout the UK.

What qualifications do you need?

Entry requirements vary from course to course. Most institutions request a minimum of two A-levels or equivalent. Contact the course provider to find out more.

All trainee teachers must have a standard equivalent to grade C in GCSE English language and mathematics. If you want to teach primary or key stage 2/3 (ages 7-14), you must also have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C in a GCSE science subject.

Is there any funding available while I train?

Funding is the same as for all other undergraduate courses
More about funding for Higher education

Applying for a teaching degree course

Apply through the Universities and College Admissions Service (UCAS)

When should you apply?

For most BA/BSc with QTS courses starting in September or October, UCAS accepts applications between the preceding September and January. It is often also possible to apply to defer entry for a year.

Related links